7 Surprising Things About Neil Nitin Mukesh You Probably Did Not Know
Saaho, one of the most anticipated films of 2019 is set to be released on 30 August 2019. Billed as India’s most expensive action thriller yet, the film features exotic locales, eccentric characters, heart-stopping action, and, among the cast, an actor who remains as much of an enigma in real life as his roles are on screen.
Neil Nitin Mukesh, the man with three names has many claims to fame over and above the critically acclaimed films he has worked in.
1) Neil Nitin Mukesh is the grandson of one of Hindi film industry’s most celebrated playback singers of yesteryears, whom we all know and love as Mukesh.
2) He got the ‘Neil’ in his name from Lata Mangeshkar who named him after the first man on the Moon, Neil Armstrong. Upon seeing the fair-skinned baby Neil, the Nightingale of Bollywood, who was one of the guests at his naming ceremony, said “Yeh toh angrezi bachcha hai…” and decided to give him an English name.
3) The ‘angrezi baccha’ Neil attended school and college in the UK.
4) Neil’s first performance on the silver screen was as a child actor playing a young Rishi Kapoor in Vijay (1988). He also played a young Govinda in the film Jaisi Karni Vaisi Bharni (1989).
5) He worked as an assistant director on Aditya Chopra’s Mujhse Dosti Karoge.
6) As the son and grandson of well-known playback singers, Neil has some musical talent of his own. He can sing, and he learnt to play the harmonium at age 9.
7) Even though India’s impending water crisis has only now begun to receive widespread attention, Neil has been associated with the ‘Think Blue’ campaign since 2012 to increase awareness about the problem.