Indian athlete Dutee Chand has recently made news for coming out as bisexual and in a same-sex partnership despite the backlash she stands to face from her family and community. But her bold attitude to her sexuality isn’t the only reason why Dutee Chand is an inspiring individual. Let’s not let her love life eclipse the fact that Dutee is brimming with the Dishkiyaon factor for so many other reasons!
1) In 2013 Dutee became the first Indian ever to reach the finals at the IAAF World Youth Championships in Athletics.
2) In 2016 she became one of only three Indian women ever to qualify for the 100-metre race at the Summer Olympic Games.
3) Dutee has broken three national records. She set the Indian national record, clocking 7.28 seconds, in the qualification round of the 60-metre dash at the 2016 Asian Indoor Athletics Championships.
4) With 11.33 seconds she broke the national record for the women’s 100-metre dash at the 2016 Federation Cup National Athletics Championships. And she broke this record twice in the same day after clocking 11.24 seconds at the XXVI International Meeting G Kosanov Memorial.
5) Dutee began running when she was all of four years old!